These Twice Baked Breakfast Potatoes are so comforting and simple. You can even bake your potatoes off ahead of time and fill them and twice bake them, when you’re ready to eat them. You can even use leftover potatoes. Combine with scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, chives, sour cream and bacon for the perfect easy breakfast recipe.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Quality of breakfast is just as important as having breakfast, but with a little bit of planning, you can be serving your little ones (or big ones!) a protein-packed breakfast that will fuel them through the morning.
One thing I really love about these breakfast potatoes is they are super easy to prepare ahead of time. You’ll find that once you’ve prepared the potatoes, they can easily be stored in the fridge. Then, they are ready to reheat if you want a quick, simple breakfast. In addition, I think another way to make this recipe would be modifying it into casserole form.
Twice Baked Breakfast Potatoes
- 2 medium russet potatoes scrubbed and pricked with a fork all over
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 rashers cooked bacon
- thinly sliced chives
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Place potatoes directly on oven rack in the center of the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender through the center.
- Remove and allow potatoes to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Slice each potato in half lengthwise and hollow each half out, scooping the potato flesh into a mixing bowl.
- Add butter and cream to the potato and mash together until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and stir together.
- Spread some of the potato mixture into the bottom of each hollowed potato skin and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese (you may have some remaining mashed potato left to nibble on).
- Add 1 rasher bacon to each half and top with a raw egg.
- Place potatoes onto a baking sheet and return to the oven.
- Lower oven temperature to 375˚F and bake potatoes until egg whites just set and yolks are still runny.
- Top each potato with a sprinkle of the remaining cheese, season with salt and pepper and finish with sliced chives.