This is an easy ravioli dish with ravioli from your grocer’s refrigerated aisle topped with sautéed asparagus and walnuts tossed in a light and flavorful butter lemon sauce. A quick and delicious dinner that only takes 15 minutes to make.
Fresh store bought ravioli is cooked and then tossed with asparagus that has been sautéed in a simple butter and lemon sauce. A little bit of grated parmesan cheese, minced parsley and crunchy walnuts are added at the end. This ravioli with sautéed asparagus and walnuts is full of flavor, quick to make and you can have dinner on the table in 15 minutes.
How To Make Ravioli With Sauteed Asparagus and Walnuts
You can use whatever fresh ravioli you like for this dish – cheese, mushroom, spinach are all good choices. But I preferebly use cheese ravioli.
For the asparagus use thinner asparagus. If you use thick asparagus, you will need to test for doneness. Thicker asparagus will take longer to cook.
First, prep all your ingredients before you begin. This is a super fast dish to put together so have everything prepped and ready to go before you start cooking. It takes no time to do the prep work so chop the asparagus and parsley and measure out your ingredients while you’re waiting for the water to boil.
Cook your ravioli as per the package instructions. Drain and add to a large bowl when done.
Melt butter in a large sauté pan and add the asparagus. Cover with a lid and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Then add the lemon juice to the asparagus in the pan.
Add the asparagus and lemon butter sauce to the bowl with the cooked ravioli. Next, add the walnuts, parmesan cheese and parsley. Gently toss to combine and you’re ready to serve.
The sauce is really simple to make – it’s light and lemony and you make it in the pan while you sauté the asparagus. It’s not a heavy, greasy sauce – it just lightly coats the ravioli and asparagus.
Ravioli With Sauteed Asparagus and Walnuts
- 1-8 oz package of fresh cheese ravioli
- ½ lb of asparagus – snap off the tough ends – chop asparagus into thirds or smaller.
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 half lemon – about 2 tablespoons
- ¼ cup walnut pieces
- 6 twists of pepper
- 2 tbs minced parsley
- 2 tbs grated parmesan plus some to serve at the table.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, chop your asparagus into thirds (snap off tough white ends and discard). Mince parsley, squeeze lemon and measure out walnuts and butter.
- In a large saute pan with a lid, melt 2 tbs of butter over medium heat until frothy. Add chopped asparagus to the pan, stir slightly to coat the asparagus with butter and cover the pan with a lid. The asparagus should be slightly damp when adding it to the pan. The pan should only be on medium heat so you don’t burn the butter or the asparagus. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes – depending on thickness of asparagus.
- While asparagus is cooking, add ravioli to boiling water and cook as per the package instructions – my package said 4 minutes. Drain when done and add to a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and black pepper to the asparagus in the pan and turn the heat to high. Cook and stir the asparagus and butter with the lemon juice for 30 seconds to create a light butter lemon sauce. Remove from heat.
- Add the asparagus and butter lemon sauce to the cooked ravioli in the bowl. There will not be a lot of sauce – you just want enough to lightly coat the ravioli. Make sure to scrape out the saute pan.
- Add walnuts, parsley and 2 tbs parmesan cheese – toss gently to combine.