This incredible Homemade Macaroni Salad is a classic pasta salad recipe that so easy to prepare using tender macaroni tossed with fresh and colorful veggies and eggs, covered in a rich and creamy tangy dressing. The best salad dish for your perfect summer!
This macaroni salad recipe is perfect for summer cookouts and picnics, and it’s such a tasty side to pair with grilled or slow cooked meat any day of the year. Nothing super fancy here, just that delicious comfort food we crave! Everything here combined together just creates a harmonious blend of satisfying flavor. It has a delicious blend of fresh, colorful ingredients, a tempting light crunch and such a refreshing taste!
To make the macaroni salad dressing, you’ll need Mayonnaise (use good quality mayo for best flavor); Plain Greek yogurt; White wine vinegar (red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar will work great here too); Dijon mustard; Honey; and Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
And for the rest of this simple macaroni salad, you’ll need:
Dry elbow macaroni
Hard boiled eggs
Red bell pepper
What to serve with this salad?
Southern Fried Chicken
Southern Fried Chicken recipe starts with a hot sauce, buttermilk brine, and a well seasoned, flour and cornstarch crust for maximum crunch! This is a true family favorite and delivers on crunch, flavor and juicy chicken on the inside.
Kansas City Style Ribs
These are typically characterized by the thick, sticky sauce brushed on in the last 30 minutes of cooking. The dry rub and sauce are on the sweet side using a brown sugar base, but are balanced with chili powder and pepper, producing some truly finger licking good ribs.
BBQ Smoked Meatloaf
Smokey sweet, tender and with little effort on your part, you can deliver this BBQ Smoked Meatloaf made right on your grill and not heat up the kitchen!
Old Fashioned Cherry Crisp
Bing cherries covered in a simple flour, sugar, oat and egg crumble that gets melted butter poured on top and baked to a golden brown.
Gramma’s Easy Berry Cobbler
A tasty, buttery batter that gets poured over fresh seasonal berries of choice is baked to a golden brown and is ready for a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.
How to Make Macaroni Salad
Cook the pasta: Cook macaroni in salted water, to al dente according to directions on package.
Drain and rinse: Drain and rinse with cold water until completely cool, drain very well (or toss drained macaroni with a little olive oil and refrigerate until cool).
Make the macaroni salad dressing: In a medium mixing bowl stir together mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, vinegar, mustard, honey, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add salad ingredients to mixing bowl: Add well drained macaroni to a large mixing bowl along with eggs, bell pepper, carrots, celery and onion.
Toss with dressing: Pour dressing over top, add in parsley and toss mixture to evenly coat. Serve or store in refrigerator.
Making the salad ahead of time actually gives the macaroni some time to soak up all that flavor and makes for a cold pasta salad. You can store this homemade macaroni salad in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Homemade Summer Macaroni Salad
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup Hellmann's or Best Foods Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp dijon mustard ** then more to taste (I like about 4 tsp)
- 1 ½ Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 steamed or hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 8 oz dry elbow macaroni
- 1 cup matchstick carrots roughly chopped
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¾ cup diced celery
- 1 - 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Cook macaroni in salted water according to directions on package (I added about 1/2 tbsp salt to the water).
- Drain and rinse with cold water until completely cool. Let drain very well.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, vinegar, mustard, honey, and season with salt and pepper to taste (start with about 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper then add more salt after you've added the dressing to the pasta).
- Add well drained macaroni to a large mixing bowl along with eggs, bell pepper, carrots, celery and onion (if you like to have some color over you salad I like set aside some of the veggies to sprinkle over the top).
- Pour dressing over top, add in parsley and toss mixture to evenly coat.