Incredible sweet and tender roasted onions in a cream asiago sauce covered in melted cheese! It’s perfect appetizer or even as a side dish.
If you are looking for some delicious side dish, these tasty asiago roasted onions are perfect! This is basically an au gratin dish where the veggie is onions rather than the more normal potatoes.
- Yellow onions
- Dijon mustard
- Heavy cream
- Olive oil
- Asiago cheese
- Salt and pepper
How To Make Asiago Roasted Onions
You start by slicing some onions into discs, about a 1/4 inch thick, and you lay them down, whole and flat, in a baking dish to pre-roast a bit to tenderize them before pouring on a cream and cheese mixture and sprinkling on even more cheese and roasting it again The onions are roasted until they are so nice and tender and their natural sweetness and pungency nicely complements the creamy cheese sauce for a flavour explosion in your mouth!
Asiago Roasted Onions
- 4 large yellow onions peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- ½ cup of asiago cheese grated
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- olive oil
- ½ teaspoon thyme chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the slices of onion in a single layer on the bottom of a greased baking dish, drizzle with oil and season with thyme, salt and pepper before roasting in a preheated 450F/230C oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the heavy cream in a small sauce pan until it starts to simmer, mix in the mustard and half of the cheese, let the cheese melt pour it over the onions before sprinkling on the remaining cheese.
- Cover in foil and bake for 20 minutes. (The onions will be tender, the cheese melted and the sides bubbling when it is done.)